Discord goes above and beyond when it comes to its interactive visual elements. From emojis that move to GIFs you can hide, there is never any shortage of customizable reactions. More recently, they reintroduced stickers, static or animated alternatives to emojis and GIFs. If you’ve used WhatsApp and Instagram before, think of these like Discord’s own version of stickers. Here’s how to add and use stickers on Discord.
THE SHORT ANSWER
To use stickers on Discord, click the Stickers button in the bottom field where you type messages. This will open a tray containing all of the stickers you can use.
What are Discord stickers?
Curtis Joe / Android Authority
Stickers are somewhat of an enigma. Similar to GIFs, stickers are essentially just larger Discord emojis. Note that you cannot add them alongside text or to Discord statuses.
How to use stickers on Discord
Discord users commonly use stickers to react to messages or greet others on servers. Because of their larger real estate, they can be more ornate and detailed than standard Discord emojis.
How to use Discord stickers on desktop
- Open the Discord desktop client or visit the Discord website and log in.
- Locate the Discord server or direct message thread where you want to send the sticker.
- Click the stickers button, located to the right of the text bar. It is represented by a smiley post-it with one corner pulling out.
- From the extended menu, find the sticker you want to use. If you are a Nitro subscriber, you can also use stickers from other servers.
- Select the sticker you want to use. When you insert the sticker, it will appear on its message line, and you won’t be able to add any text.
How to use Discord stickers on mobile
- Open the Discord app on your device.
- Navigate to the server or direct message thread where you want to send the sticker.
- Tap the emoji button to open the emoji tray.
- In the emoji tray, press the Stickers tab.
- Find the sticker you want to use, then tap it.
How to add stickers to a Discord server
If you want to add custom stickers, you must do so through your server. Additionally, your server must be “boosted.”
Curtis Joe / Android Authority
A server boosted to Level 1 (2 Boosts) can upload 15 custom stickers, a server boosted to Level 2 (7 Boosts) can upload 30 custom stickers, and a server boosted to Level 3 (14 Boosts) can upload up to 60 custom stickers. Server Boosts cost real money, though you get five slots for free.
How to add stickers to a Discord server on desktop
- Launch Discord’s desktop client or go to the Discord website and log in.
- Visit your server and click the downward arrow at the top to open the dropdown menu.
- Select Server Settings.
- From the server menu, click Stickers at the left pane.
- Within the Stickers tab, click the Upload Stickers button. A pop-up window will appear.
- On the Upload a file window, browse for the sticker you want to upload and fill the details in the prompted box.
- Click the Upload button to finish the process.
How to add stickers to a Discord server on mobile
Even if your server is boosted to Level One or higher, you cannot upload custom stickers on the mobile app. Discord may add the ability to do so in a future app update.
If you join a server that has been boosted and has custom stickers, you can use them even if you aren’t a paying Nitro subscriber. However, subscribe to Discord Nitro if you want to use them on another server.
Uploading stickers is currently only possible on the desktop. Discord may add this feature to the mobile version for Android and iOS in the future.
Yes, you can animate customer stickers like a GIF.
Even without a Discord Nitro subscription, you can use stickers on a Discord server. Simply click the Stickers button in the message typing field. This will open a tray with all the stickers you can use. Note that without Nitro, you can only use stickers that belong to the server you are currently in, and you cannot use stickers from other servers.